Thursday, April 22, 2010

Melloy Article - March 7

In a mock interview at my placement recently, I was asked what my behavior management would look like in a classroom. I immediately launched into a system of green, yellow and red, with students not only understanding what actions earned them a negative consequence, but how to rectify this behavior. After this mock interview, the panel told me “You went straight to negative. Why not positive?”

This is what I thought about when I focused in on the “Common Causes and/or Antecedents of Disruptive Behavior” within the Melloy reading. I definitely believe in a positive reward system for students, and to be quite honest, I feel like I provide positive reinforcement a lot, it just isn’t something that is a conscious effort for me. Telling a student “thank you so much for standing in line quietly” is easier and generally more effective than calling someone else down for talking in line.

The Melloy reading references “inappropriate behavior management.” I definitely think that to positively reinforce behavior would instead be considered appropriate behavior management.

No comments:

Post a Comment