Sunday, April 25, 2010

April 11 - Reflection

As my case study finishes, I have to say that I think it went well overall, though there are some things that could have improved. I believe that my students were willing and able to adjust their behavior and be kind and respectful to one another. I was able to see though, that they did so only at the urging of an outside force. For their own personal happiness and decision-making, they did not need or want to make this decision.

Now, I must keep in mind that my students are 6 and 7 year olds. I don’t believe that I can genuinely be disappointed or surprised that their self-control and general discipline is not supremely present in their thoughts and actions. I was pleased to see that with an external stimulus/force (my encouraging them and asking them to behave in a certain manner) they were able to work together amicably and show kindness and respect. The week that I left them to their own devices, though, with no external force, they slipped right back in to their old routine, and fought, name called and disrespected one another.

Part of me wonders though – Is this just their pattern? Their routine? Or a component of their personalities?

No comments:

Post a Comment