Saturday, September 12, 2009

Literacy Reflection 1

This reading was interesting, and I found it very helpful to learn about the different models and ideologies that can be utilized in teaching literacy. I never really thought about the different ways to teach reading and literacy, I seemed to just assume that I would teach it in the same way that I was taught, using the same general tools and practices. Then I began to write my Literacy Autobiography, and I realized that I don’t remember how I was taught to read. How was I ever going to be successful at teaching something that I didn’t even remember learning???
It was great to read about the Inquiry Model, the one to which I felt the most drawn. If students can be drawn to any subject, they can then be motivated. It’s simple. If a student cares about something and feels connected to it, then their effort can and most likely will be put into it. This model seems not only to help engage students, but also to help facilitate deeper, more meaningful connections to literacy than simply passing a standardized test. In this educational era, that seems to be what we are always striving for – to help our students see past two days of testing and allow them to experience the actual joy of learning.

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel bad... I don't remember how I was taught to read or write either!! I just remember little books that I was able to read, I do not really remember struggling with reading them (that's not to say that I did not struggle). If I do not remember how it feels to struggle how to learn to read and write - how and I going to be patient with the students that do struggle with reading and writing?! I was also fairly good at standarized tests which not every child is. I went to school in a school that put a lot into standardized testing and since I was good at it, no one really put much effort into it with me, and again, I do not know what it was like to struggle with these tests - how am I going to be able to teach them? Liz is in a class that has scripted lesson plans, I feel that these are either going to focus on the students that struggle with reading/writing/tests and the other students that do not struggle are going to be bored, or it could be the opposite way around. Either way, the Inquiry model seems much more effective and the industrial model needs to go in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete