Saturday, September 12, 2009

Literacy Autobiography

Joy. Rapture. Bliss. READING!!!

Ann Marie Lentz was a miracle worker.” These words came from my mother when I explained this assignment to her. I can barely remember my own name some days, so I asked her to explain on this comment. She explained to me that I could not read when I began Mrs. Lentz’s first grade class. In fact, I flat out told her I hated reading and would never read. During my first grade year, I skipped all typical literary steps. I did not read sentences and then graduate to short books, etc. I went from not being able to read to reading chapter books. My mom shook her head and finished her explanation with “that woman fed you chapter books for an entire year; and you devoured them.” 15 years later, I am still devouring them.

One of my roommates refuses to watch Jeopardy! with me. Let me assure you, this has nothing to do with my skill of answering the questions, but simply with my speed. I am able to read the question before Alex Trebek finishes reading it, and have shouted an (usually incorrect) answer out before she has heard the question. This type of “speed reading” has been a constant in my life for as long as I can remember. Probably around the third grade, I remember joining “The Babysitter’s Club” club. Every month, I would get mailed two brand new Babysitter’s Club books, just like thousands of other 8 year old girls throughout the country. I have a distinct memory of opening my package every month, sitting down, and reading both books, most likely without moving or taking any breaks.

This pattern of zoning out and devoting my self from the beginning of the book until the end has not changed. I spent two days last semester reading, in succession, all 4 books in the Twilight series. If I am reading a book and I am interested in it, it becomes a literal obsession. Its all I want to talk about, its all I want to do – it’s a little bit weird actually.

I don’t have any recollection of my actual process of learning to read. I have a vague memory of watching phonics videos about Mrs. U and Mr. R, but other than that, I draw a blank. I know that I have had a love of reading since I actually learned to read. I know that reading has been my strongest subject since the first grade. I wish I knew what exactly fostered my love of reading and books, it would be helpful in motivating my students in the future, but I truly do not know. I just love books.

No comments:

Post a Comment