Sunday, September 27, 2009

Criss Cross, John Lennon, and the life of a teenage girl

I must admit that I didn’t expect to have some huge revelation during the Teacher as Reader exercise/assignment. From reading my Literacy Autobiography, you may already know that I am an avid reader in my personal time. I will read children’s books, Young Fiction novels, magazines (Highlights to Cosmopolitan, I've read them all) and anything that is within an arm’s reach when I get bored. Reading Criss Cross was interesting though. I really like what I interpreted the meaning to be. Last post, I said that I kept anticipating what the “thing” was that would happen to Debbie. I got to the last chapter of the book and was frustrated. “Why,” I thought to myself “would the author wait until the last chapter to have something special happen? There isn’t going to be any time to expand or elaborate on how Debbie’s life changes.” Then, it hit me. Debbie is a teenage girl. Having lived the life of a teenage girl, I made the connection for myself. As Debbie sits and waits for something to happen, just as I, the reader, was waiting, special things are happening all around. I know that many people, myself included, seem to be waiting for their lives to begin. Waiting to be thin enough, smart enough, funny enough or sweet enough for something BIG to happen to them and jumpstart their lives. Just like Debbie.

“Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans.” – John Lennon.

Your life has already begun Debbie Pelbry. Go live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment