Sunday, November 29, 2009

Struggling Readers - Flint Chapter 12

Figure 12.3 in the Flint text, titled “Flow Chart to Help Students Monitor Their Comprehension” is an amazing tool, and one that I plan on using in its entirety in my classroom. I find it hard to articulate to a student or a reader how to comprehend and make meaning out of text. This flow chart, though, is both clear and coherent, and I could see it helping many students. The guiding questions and strategies provided here help readers to follow a text, garner its’ meaning, and visualize. I also really like the incredible amount of strategies that are contained in this flow chart. Many readers that I have observed who have trouble making meaning of text become frustrated easily and give up, or simply read the text for reading ability purposes, ignoring the need for comprehension. This chart gives up to 8 possible guiding questions and strategies, which I could see cutting down on this frustration level. Students can see that there are so many different ways to comprehend text, that these strategies are there to help them, not seem daunting, and they are good strong points – they would definitely lead readers to comprehend text well.

I would recommend this flow chart to many of the 6 clusters of struggling readers addressed in the Valencia & Buly article. Specifically, this recommendation would be to Automatic Word Callers, Struggling Word Callers, Slow Word Callers, and Disabled Readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment