Sunday, November 8, 2009

Four- Resource Model

I enjoyed reading Chapter 7 of the Flint text and learning about the four-resource model for beginning readers. I know that I have been wondering when and how I was going to learn how to teach a student to read. These four steps seem to be great starting points for emergent readers. The four components of this model are Code Breaking, Text Participant, Text User and Critical Practices. Though all are integral and integrated with one another, the one that I found most helpful to learn about was Code Breaking.

In my first grade classroom, I find myself marveling at the skills my students have, and how these skills and the knowledge that accompanies them have been relayed to them. Reading and learning about the systematic approach by which teachers may impart the skills to decode, and ultimately, to enter into literacy.

I was torn, though, between the Prescriptive Approach and the Integrated Approach. My gut reaction to “how to teach how to read” is the above model, with a defined set of rules, and a systematic approach to learning sounds and rules – then applying this knowledge to literature. This is very similar to the Prescriptive Approach. The Integrated Approach, though focuses more on predictable language and authentic learning. Even after looking at the comparative chart of the two approaches (pg 185) I can’t make a choice. Traditional? Or Contextual? Do I even have to choose? Can the two be used together? I guess that’s one of the greatest and hardest things about being a teacher. You just have to make your own decision, and run with it. Hopefully you can figure it out along the way.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is a tough choice sometimes. However, I think that the two can definitely be used together. We have gotten to read a lot of different strategies for teaching, and just like this, I think that sometimes the best solution is to blend some of the ideas. The Prescriptive Approach offers some good things and so does the Integrated approach. I think you are right in that you will just have to make a decision and make everything we are learning your own. You will do a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    I agree with both you and Sam. I think that you can use both. I think also, you are in first grade (right?) which means that the literacy you are experiencing with beginning learners is really different than what I understand it to be (in fourth grade). I wish I had a better understanding of how the younger grades work in literacy (and in general really). As I was reading chapter 8, I was thinking, similarly, about how to mix all of the teaching strategies together. I also think, though, that as we teach, we aren't going to be trying to categorize everything we do. Just pick what you think will teach your students best, and don't worry about what "kind" of teaching it is.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete