Tuesday, March 2, 2010

PBS for Kids - Arthur, Elmo and Clifford not included

PBS. Ew. When my mom began mentioning PBS to me during my Sophomore Year at UNC, I was very confused as to why the Public Broadcasting System was sponsoring programs in elementary schools across the country. Seriously. When I finally got around to asking her and finding out for myself what PBS (Positive Behavior Support) is all about, I, to put it bluntly, hated the idea.

My personal beliefs in management and behavior are this: Students/Kids/People in general should behave in a respectful, kind manner that involves following rules, laws, and meeting expectations. If and when these are exhibited, that person may receive a reward, at an unexpected and random rate. Basically, I think that the work/behavior/etc. should be done all the time, and if you happen to get rewarded for it, then that’s just a bonus. My impression of PBS was that of constantly being bribed --- as opposed to what I believe the actual concept is, which is rewarded as a positive consequence.

Through my time in a PBS school this semester, I hate to admit it, but I’m singing a different tune. Many of the reasons and thoughts that I have come to are outlined amazingly well in the “Creating A Classroom That Promotes Positive Behavior” article. I think what is the most logical thing to me is a bulleted point early on in the article. “Agree on unified expectations, rules and procedures.” For a student to adequately and appropriately behave and perform in a classroom, they must know what is expected of them. The PBS system definitely lends itself to clarifying for students what is expected of them, and giving them goals and commendations for reaching these expectations.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're getting to see a successful PBS used in your school. It sounds like it really does work. I've never seen a schoolwide PBS but would like to. I could see it making such a difference in the culture of the school. I wish my school would implement one!

    I also agree that what is most important is that students know exactly what is expected of them, and know the consequences if they do not behave in the appropriate way. I think this is crucial to maintain a successful behavior system.

    In your post to me, you said that as long as the teacher 'talks up' a system and shows the students that they believe in it, the students will too. I couldn't agree with you more. I have recently implemented a system where the class can earn a paper clip for each subject area. They are allowed one warning throughout the class. If they get more than one, they do not receive the clip. Once the chain of clips reaches from the top of the whiteboard to the tray, the class receives a reward that they voted on. This has been working so well with the kids. They are all so excited about receiving their reward that they work together to maintain the behavior that is expected of them. They also know that their behavior effects the rest of the class, so they are self-motivated to stay on-task and help their peers reach the class goal. If I hadn't 'talked up' this system so much, I honestly don't think it would be as successful. However, becacause I am constantly referring back to it and reminding them of their goal, it has worked wonders. As you said, any system can work as long as it is 'talked up'. I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that I am enjoying the PBS system in place at my school for the very same reason. Students know what is expected of them, and that makes the world of difference. Expectations are very important, and activities always go more smoothly when I outline the expectations. It is for that reason that it is great to have the same expectations throughout the school. When schools “Agree on unified expectations, rules and procedures” students are held to the same expectations throughout the whole building. At my school students receive Manatee tickets for making good choices. Anyone in the school can give students a Manatee ticket. This is so helpful because it gives teachers in the hallway, teachers who are taking students to the buses, and specials teachers a system that they can understand and use too. This helps students to be successful in a consistent and supportive environment.

    ReplyDelete